27 July, 2009

I have always found temperatures above eight degrees Fahrenheit uncomfortable. Particularly in the evening. A breeze coming through the window right now makes it worth it-- there's really nothing like that in the summer.

Oooh, they're fireflies too.

And the summer wanes. Not really, there is still a full moth left before I begin teaching again; and by "again", there is a bit of dubiousness, as I have recently changed schools, and grade levels for that matter (see posts below). Despite utter confusion about how to teach the new level, at the very least, I feel more focus on the professional aspect of teaching now that the district home seems more malleable. After three years of spelunking through the Massachusetts Department of Education, as well as arguing with my old district's personal Catbert, I've figured out how to move on for an initial and (hopefully soon) professional license. [note, I can never ever spell "license" correct... it's the mixing up the C's and S's).

After this... no idea. But there is a nice focus... I'm finally with a gaming group again, which makes me happy. It's really been a while since I've done the tabletop RPGs and it's easy to forget how nice returning to the hobby is.

Speaking of fantasy, I'd finally given in this summer and read the Harry Potter series. It's not that it isn't good children's literature, it just seemed... out of principle? I guess I still retain a good deal of the ethos of avoiding something that everyone else in the world seems to do. Really was a good series of seven books; I had particularly liked how the story and writing style changed with the age of the characters/intended readers. On the other hand, this has made me more critical of the movies, which I had enjoyed perfectly well until now. Half-Blood Prince, however, I felt would have been unfollowable had I not read the book first... tsk tsk, I'm very disappointed with the adaption.

Funny thing is with fantasy is that now matter how much I love the genre, each NaNoWriMo, I'm still connected to science fiction, which I enjoy, but never held as close as fantasy.

Guess it's easier.

No comments:

Post a Comment